This is dementia. It's not just a memory problem.
What you read in this blog is purely my own personal experience in dealing with Lewy Body Dementia every day.

This is not meant to offer any medical or legal advise.
I have no professional training in care giving or experiences in formal writing.
I'm just a woman that loves her husband deeply and wants to provide him with the best quality of life he can and chooses to have.
My prayer though this is "Lord, What am I learning from this; how can I use it help someone else and to glorify You?"
If just one person finds comfort in this public blog. I will feel like it was a success.

Thursday, December 22, 2011

No sick days

Caregiveing, at least in my house, has no sick days.

So what's a gal to do?
I suppose whatever it takes, and take whatever you have.

Seems like a cold attacked me and beat me up.
I've been fighting it with all I have.
Day meds, night meds, allergy meds, cough meds, whatever it is I hope to conquer quickly.

Caregiving has been pretty lax though. I'll pick it up later, Just wipe the shirt off, it will be fine etc.
We eat sandwiches and soup. Easy fixes but filling.
Needs continue and must be met.
They seem at times petty needs though, "Really, you called me in here to help you find something that is sitting right in front of your nose?" But those thoughts only got expressed silently.

Before the attack of the cold, Hubby and I promised to run an errand. It was going to be a spur of the moment type so we needed to be prepared for the call. When the call came we were close but not completely ready for walking out the door.
BIL was finishing his lunch and had to leave it mid bite to put his shoes on.
I helped Hubby put on and button his shirt.
While Hubby made a bathroom run and I started the car for warmth, retrieved his coat, placed the wheel chair outside the front door for Hubby to ride in to the car and told BIL to get a coat.
Hubby came out of the bathroom and shuffled slowly to the front door.
We managed to get in the car and head off to our errand.
I chose to leave the wheel chair behind as this was just a "quick" errand.
Hubby agreed.


Seems that once we reached our destination and I took care of our errand, as we were pulling away, Hubby decided he needed to use a bathrom.
silent medicated screaming: YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME?!
We pull into a gas station and it dawns on me, I have no chair.
more silent medicated screaming: GREAT KATHY!
I remind Hubby we have no chair
Hubby thinks he can walk and he can, about 5 ft and then has mobile meltdown. UGH!
Mental meltdown wasn't too far behind.
BIL was in the car, I suppose waiting for directions to get out, Hubby began to worry that his brother was in the car.
Trying to help Hubby walk and stay on task was proving a challenge.
Hubby complained he needed to get inside, yet every time he talked about BIL he stopped walking and then started just staring.
We were getting nowhere fast so I told BIL to get out of the car.
Hubby then wondered what BIL was doing.
I'm almost pulling at this point and told him not to worry about BIL I had it taken care of.

Shuffle, stop stare, shuffle stop stare, urgent need expressed, shuffle stop stare.
The walk seemed like forever
I told BIL to sit in a booth and wait for us.
God bless BIL for being so obedient and patient.
Even though I had a vice grip on Hubby, he held or tried to hold everything in his arms reach.

A short hallway found us blocking another gentleman from getting in, we yielded the way and met the man again on his way out.
At this point Hubby had a need to explain to the gentleman that he usually has a wheel chair to use but it is at home.
I try to encourage Hubby to keep walking and holding tight to me or using the wall for support.

Mission accomplished and now the long trek back to the car.

Just read the above story backward.

Once we got outside BIL headed to his side of the car to get in.
It was then I noticed,
BIL had on 2 right shoes.
Now it was time for me to stare.
And you know what?
I didn't even care.

The up side to this is that BILs shoes both belonged to him.


  1. Oh Kathy... I remember leaving the wheelchair behind ONCE. Similar story as yours... I'm sure you were sweating out of every single pour in your body too!

    When I started to get sick all the time is when I knew the time had come where Mom needed to be in a facility. Once mom was in the home, I got better.

    What I believe is that the stress from care giving was keeping me sick. I was not an effective care giver. I was exhausted. The 6 months before I found a bed for my mom were the most difficult for me.

    I know your pain. Unfortunately, it doesn't get any better.

    You, Hubby and BIL are in my thoughts. You are amazing with all that you do for your family.

  2. Just read a few of your blogs but you might have been writing about my life too. I was interested in the respite you were able to take because of VA care for your husband. My husband was a VET but I've found respite through VA nearly impossible to get. Maybe different states and different kinds of availability.

  3. Hello,
    My thoughts are with you. You seem very strong and a great example to others. I've read some of your posts and i must say your full of love
    Good luck


Thank you for taking the time to word verify comments. I'm sorry that due to Bot Spam the process is a little more time consuming.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.