This is dementia. It's not just a memory problem.
What you read in this blog is purely my own personal experience in dealing with Lewy Body Dementia every day.

This is not meant to offer any medical or legal advise.
I have no professional training in care giving or experiences in formal writing.
I'm just a woman that loves her husband deeply and wants to provide him with the best quality of life he can and chooses to have.
My prayer though this is "Lord, What am I learning from this; how can I use it help someone else and to glorify You?"
If just one person finds comfort in this public blog. I will feel like it was a success.

Saturday, April 10, 2010

A few hurdles jumped

You would think with as much hurdle jumping as I seem to do in this Lewy life I would lose weight.
No, not me. I have to sit down and eat as I contemplate my next move in overcoming the obstacle in my way. Feed my stress. I wish my stress liked raw carrots instead of carrot cake with cream cheese icing.

When I last left you Hubby was successful in closing our account and cutting off our income. I sent the judge a request for a temporary emergency guardianship but since Hubby's life was not in eminent danger the judge wouldn't grant it. I suppose it's Ok if we have no utilities as long as Hubby is in no danger.

God ALWAYS provides a way. I was successful in convincing Hubby to cash the final funds check and was able to pay all the outstanding bills for the month. We may be eating tuna and cereal for a while but protein is good :) Of course our prayer warriors and family and friends have offered whatever help we need until we get this situation straightened out. The Judge I serve can out rule anyone.

Hubby had an 8AM appointment with his Neurologist the other day. We have a 70 mile trip to the "BIG CITY" YIKES!! 8AM!! Besides morning rush hour traffic to consider we need a 2 hour window to get ready and out the door. I suppose I prayed enough about it and should be grateful that Hubby is a night wanderer so he was up anyway by the time we needed to start getting ready. As a matter of fact we left early enough to get there with enough time to beat the traffic and have breakfast in the cafeteria.

Getting ready presented it's own set of problems as Hubby was having an extremely terrible physical AND mental day. Much help was needed in getting him dressed and  out the door but we did it.

A few days earlier Hubby had a list of things he had said he wanted to talk to that Dr about. One was his insistence that he should be able to drive. I promised I would write it down so Hubby could ask about it. While waiting for our (Hubby's) appointment Hubby decided he needed to use the rest room. He was insistent on walking by himself but the room was quite a ways off. Determined to go on his own he only got a few feet before someone offered to assist him and Hubby took him up on the offer. I took that as my que to approach with the wheelchair and transport him the rest of the way. Hubby was happy for the ride.

When he shuffled into the men's room he seemed to be in there quite a long time. I was glad it was a busy restroom as a nice man that emerged asked me if I was with an older, confused man. I said I was and he reported that Hubby seemed confused and was moving slow. I thanked him for the info. Hubby still didn't appear so I asked a random stranger if he would walk into the men's room and check on Hubby. He agreed. I described Hubby and told him Hubby's name.
 When the kind gentleman walked in he loudly said, "Hey, Bobby" at which point I heard Hubby happily and excitedly say "Hey, I haven't seen you in a long time." The kind gentleman laughed and said "Yep" I took the chance to yell through the open door that they had called us for our appointment and Hubby emerged happy that he had run into an "old friend" Hubby's day was made :)

We scooted into the exam room and our kind, compassionate, caring and thorough Neurologist addressed Hubby asking him many questions about life at home and how he was able to do things. Many of the answers were that I assisted or did almost everything for Hubby save feed him. He still has that ability just modified for his convenience.

Dr asked Hubby if he was driving and Hubby looked right at Dr and said. Well, I think I took myself off that list.
WHAT?!!!! Dr should have been at my house for the last few weeks!!
I sat there not sure whether to let out a disgusted breath, laugh or say WHAT?!! I chose to remain silent and appreciate that Hubby has decided to give up his driving voluntarily. (rolling eyes)
Dr agreed that driving was not a good idea any longer and that Hubby made a wise decision.

Dr told Hubby he was going to test his memory. Hubby failed SO miserably that I wanted to cry. Just from the last time we saw Dr 5 months ago there has been a dramatic decline in Hubby. I suppose when I am in it every day I don't REALLY notice the huge decline. We adjust and it becomes our normal and we move on.
Dr asked Hubby a few more questions and told Hubby that his memory had really worsened. He then asked Hubby , since I was the one taking care of everything what did he think about me being Hubby's guardian. Hubby scooted in his chair, looked right at Dr and said. "I guess that would be all right"
Again, WHAT?!! When did Hubby change his mind? I am just grateful he did and Dr filled out our legal paperwork for me to take to the Judge. Looks like it's just a matter of waiting and formality now.

As we were leaving the V.A. We have to pass through pharmacy area.  Hubby started looking for his "old friend" when we went through. I told Hubby I thought he would already be gone. Hubby said "Probably."
Hubby was happy the rest of the day though. For that, I am thankful.

While there we took care of some other medical things such as the Home Health Care renewal. The V.A. drags it's heels so I have learned that it may take up to 2 weeks to get Hubby back into the Home Health Care system as his contract expired and the system kicks him out once it does. Paperwork, paperwork!!I WAS however able to get my needs met for the Home Health Care time. Same hours per week, less days just more hours in the day. Time to actually DO something. BIG SIGH OF RELIEF! Now just to get it kicked in again. I'm back to having to depend on family members once more. I am blessed to have willing and supportive members :)

So while I figure out this hurdle, I think I shall have some ice cream ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Kathy, glad to hear things went well during the visit. I know what you mean about my stress....mine likes ice cream and carrot cake also!


Thank you for taking the time to word verify comments. I'm sorry that due to Bot Spam the process is a little more time consuming.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.