This is dementia. It's not just a memory problem.
What you read in this blog is purely my own personal experience in dealing with Lewy Body Dementia every day.

This is not meant to offer any medical or legal advise.
I have no professional training in care giving or experiences in formal writing.
I'm just a woman that loves her husband deeply and wants to provide him with the best quality of life he can and chooses to have.
My prayer though this is "Lord, What am I learning from this; how can I use it help someone else and to glorify You?"
If just one person finds comfort in this public blog. I will feel like it was a success.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

I mow, I mow, Because the grass does grow...

I mowed the yard yesterday.
I have mentioned that I have a love hate relationship with mowing.

Yesterday Hubby had a fairly confusing day. Lewy started it off that way. After a night of constant sleep interruptions I decided to rise and hope he would decide to lay back down and sleep. I drank my morning pot of coffee. Took care of my Facebook obligations (games);-) threw the bathroom rugs in the washer and dryer and cooked Hubby some biscuits and gravy with sausage (his new obsession) tended to a few household chores, OK a very few household chores, FINE I rinsed a dish sheesh!! Give a girl a break ;-)

As I dressed and was preparing to go out and tackle the yard I told him of my yard plans and asked him if he wanted anything before I went out. He looked at me with a confused expression and said, "Now? It's time for bed."
I had to explain what time it was and show him the sun shining brightly. He shuffled over to the clock and stared at it for a bit and said "hmm" someone told me it was..." And that was the end of that conversation.

Hubby decided to lay down anyway so I took the chance to scoot out while he was still. I come in every little bit to check on Hubby and make sure he is OK and see if the phone rang while I was out. It also keeps me from being in the sun too long at one time and hydrated and snacked :)

Hubby's condition has taken a down turn. Actually, just a consistent of what already was occasionally. We are now fully dependent on incontinence aids. YAY! Not yay in a, glad we are there, way but yay in, I am glad he made the decision avoiding the many mishaps that have occurred and the extra laundry.

The delusions/hallucinations have always been there, mostly at night, but Hubby has kept them to himself most of the time because he wasn't sure if they were real or not so he chose to think they were not or waited until they were verified in some way.
But as of late, they are mentioned more these days as well as nights. Mostly in the "Somebody told me", "Who was here?", "I keep thinking a lot of people are talking to me". Somewhere Hubby still has the ability to sort them out enough to ask me now if what is perceived is the truth and accepts that it isn't possible when I tell him it did not happen. I consider it a blessing that he is never upset by those thoughts and voices or people. I might even like them myself if they would just help around the house ;-) But they don't so the work is left up to me alone. sigh

As we were laying in bed last night I was watching some television while Hubby was laying close with his arm across me. He looked up at me and asked me if I ever got my TV's hooked up.

Trying not to be confused by his question I asked what TV's was he talking about?

He said "Those ones..."
Then he looked around and said "Oh that can't be right, they told me..."

I questioned him further about they.

He said "Those people were talking to me about..."

I said there was nobody here to talk to him but me.

He looked at me and said "I have a lot of people that talk to me. Is it part of my brain problem?"

How clear and complete was that?
I told him that it must be very confusing to have so many people talking to him.

He agreed.

Then he looked at me for a long time and said
"You know, I kinda remember who you are."

I smiled and said that was a good thing.

He told me "I should have helped me mow the yard."

I asked him "Like we used to? That would be nice."

Then I thought about how we used to mow our 2 acres when he did help me. 2 riding mowers side by side and us holding hands until we had to turn then rejoined.

Life seems simple then.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Kathy... there must be something in the air, my mom's been super confused too.

    Yesterday we had the burial ceremony to get rid of the hallucinations. I had my mom do everything. It was an exercise for her to take the hallucinations that were disturbing her and put them to rest, once and for all.

    It worked. I don't expect them to return. Once we buried the stones, she was relieved. Her blood pressure is now normal.

    As for sleep, I finally got my mom sleeping through the night. There condition causes them to have an issue with distinguishing between day and night. They want to be awake all night and sleep all day - this I found made me totally insane. I was sleep deprived.

    We make sure the room is dark and my mom can take naps all day until 2pm, then she needs to stay awake until bedtime.

    At night my mom takes Vitamin D3, 3mg melatonin, her High blood pressure supplements and 8 drops of Ashwagandha in a little bit of water in a shot glass. Ashwagandha is the natural form of Aricept with no side effects. It helps with insomnia and works really well.

    My mom now sleeps through the night, every night. It helps her to be in a better mood.

    I hope things even out a bit for you, I know how exhausting our job can be when our loved one has their internal clocks all messed up.


Thank you for taking the time to word verify comments. I'm sorry that due to Bot Spam the process is a little more time consuming.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.