This is dementia. It's not just a memory problem.
What you read in this blog is purely my own personal experience in dealing with Lewy Body Dementia every day.

This is not meant to offer any medical or legal advise.
I have no professional training in care giving or experiences in formal writing.
I'm just a woman that loves her husband deeply and wants to provide him with the best quality of life he can and chooses to have.
My prayer though this is "Lord, What am I learning from this; how can I use it help someone else and to glorify You?"
If just one person finds comfort in this public blog. I will feel like it was a success.

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Today is a good day for Pancakes

We slept in!
It was 8 AM before I ever rolled over and looked at the clock!
I couldn't believe it, even the dog slept in.
I promptly rose, started the coffee and let the dog out. My opening and closing of the door put BIL in motion.

The morning sun was shining bright, always a bad thing until I have had a cup of coffee ;-)

I sat and drank my coffee and went through my prayer list without interruption, especially for this late time of the morning. I wondered how Hubby was.

Another cup of coffee, I called to check. It was reported that he was doing fine. No reports of illness. His appetite was good. No agitation.
I was asked if he owned a walker and answered, Yes he does but doesn't use it properly. He always pushes it leaving me with the feeling that he will tangle up in it like a cartoon character whenever he tries to use it.
Nurse laughed at this mental picture.
They were concerned about his unsteadiness. Nurse reported that she asked Hubby how he got around at home but before he could answer she said "Let me guess, you hold onto furniture or anything around you?" She said Hubby just smiled.
I asked if he was using a walker there but she said No he was using a wheelchair for long distances (I already told them he would need to do that anyway) and clinging to the wall rails (I told them he would do that too).
She said " He is sleeping right now, but as you said, that is his normal".
I agreed and was very happy she remembered what I had said yesterday.
I asked her to tell him I had called again and she reported that when she told him yesterday he kept asking when I called.
I asked her to assure him I would be there on Monday to get him. She said she would.

BIL finally came downstairs from the bathroom as I was pouring myself another cup of coffee. I asked BIL if he would like to have pancakes for breakfast. He excitedly said "Yes Mam!" So shall it be then.
The sun was shining, the call was good, the coffee had spread though the veins enough. It was a good day for pancakes. :)

Saturday activities had to stick to the routine that has been established for BIL so I knew the day was pretty much a busy one for him. The slowness of the day also allowed me to finish the work in the bathroom.
I turned on my TV to a music station and listened to the songs I grew up on while I kept myself occupied with my task I started.
Then I lounged around doing nothing the rest of the day and I'm tired of doing it now.

Feeling a little nostalgic with all my music I began to think about how life would be when Hubby comes home.
I know I can't wish for things to be the way they were pre Lewy but I can still miss them. I do.

I don't believe I waited too late before I took this respite time, I do think I waited too long to take advantage of it. I don't feel like I was ever at the end of my rope but I could tell it was getting shorter and should not have let that happen.
I'm not dreading or worried about Hubby coming home.
I feel renewed in my spirit to be supportive and loving for Hubby.
I am ready for Hubby to be home.
I hope he is ready to be home also.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to word verify comments. I'm sorry that due to Bot Spam the process is a little more time consuming.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.